Year 1 - Instructions
This week we are going to be following and then writing some instructions.
Instructions are pieces of information. They tell us how to do something. Instructions could be a recipe, how to make something etc. Instructions always have:
Monday 18th May
Can you read through the instructions together with a grown up and see if you can follow them to make your own sandwich?
How to make a jam sandwich
What you need:
1. Wash your hands.
2. Get all the equipment you need.
3. Place the 2 slices of bread on the plate.
4. Carefully spread the butter on the bread.
5. Spread the jam over the bread.
6. Place one slice of bread on top of the other.
7. Cut the sandwich in half using the knife.
8. Eat your sandwich!
Ask an adult to help you to cut your sandwich with your knife.
Don’t forget to wash your hands and tidy up!
Tuesday 19th May
Can you answer these questions on the instructions?
1. How many pieces of bread do you need for the sandwich?
2. What is the first thing you need to do?
3. What will you need to use to cut the sandwich?
4. Can you list the imperative verbs? (the words that tell you what to do?
Wednesday 20th May
Look at the imperative verbs below. (The words that tell you what to do)
Which ones would you normally find in a recipe book? Make a list of them.
mix stir run blend laugh skip
pour chop sit play jump grate run
Can you draw a picture to show each of the actions or practise acting them out?
Have a listen to the imperative verb song on YouTube - We know it is one of your favourites.
Thursday 21st May
Have a look at the instructions below. We have got ourselves into a bit of a muddle. Can you read them carefully and then write them out in the correct order? Remember to add the numbers at the start when you write them out.
How to get up in the morning
Go to school.
Have a wash.
Make your bed.
Put your coat on.
Eat your breakfast.
Put your clothes on.
Get out of bed.
Brush your teeth.
Friday 22nd May
Can you write your own set of instructions? Think about what you could write them for:
Remember to send us some pictures of the sandwiches you make and of your own instructions. We can't wait to see them.